Friday, November 7, 2008

Pros and Cons

Yes, yes I did. I actually made a pro and con list, and perhaps for the first time. Here are the ups and downs of transferring to the University of Washington. I might add more as I think of them.


Transferring to UW, Pros and Cons

Pro
• I would be free from Big Brother (the Honor Code) constantly breathing down my neck.
• I would be in Seattle. I LOVE Seattle…
• I would be able to be truly open and authentic.
• I would be reunited with many of my best friends.
• I would be close to my hometown and family.
• I love the energy/vibes the Northwest seems to have.
• I have a lot more fun with my Washingtonian friends… not that I don’t like my friends here, but somehow its different
• I would be free from mandated religion and would be able to choose the role the Church plays in my life.
• I would have a circle of straight friends, which I long for. At BYU its hard to find straight people I can truly be open around without risking honor code discipline.
• Because of that, I can only be open in gay circles, and therefore I spend most of my time with gay people and all they seem to be able to talk about is being gay which is annoying.
• The gay circle I hang out with now will all graduate at least 3 semesters before me, if not more, so I would have to find all new friends

Con
• My roots are already set in Provo. My systems are up. I am settled in.
• I have just finished breaking all the way into a social circle and would have to do it all over.
• I wouldn’t have as strong of a gay mormon support group.
• Potentially lesser chances of a finding a decent guy.
• I wouldn’t be able to do as much to promote understanding and build bridges between the gay and straight worlds. I could make more of a difference here.
• I would miss all the wonderful friends I have made.
• I like the academics at BYU.
• BYU is so inexpensive!
• I would have to figure out how to get all my stuff back from provo to seattle
• Would I just be running from my problems? Or is it that BYU is the source of my problems?
• Would I still be forced to think and analyze my personal life and truly figure things out? In an environment like BYU, one has to know exactly what they believe and why they believe that.

3 comments:

Bear By The Bay said...

Go to Washington my friend. Who needs the hassle of living with a bunch of bigots?

Romulus said...

OMG. But BYU will give you an environment that will help you understand that you can really be straight. And if the Honor Code Office does get you, they will do their very best to help you through your trials.

Chase said...

Ok you wouldnt really have to "break in" here. Well, maybe if you want to make friends with frat boys. But you would at least be broken in automatically with the people i know... not that i know a ton.

Again though you have to realize that you are always going to have problems. Your just choosing which problems you want to juggle. There is not a large pool of good gay boys to date up here. Unless you count drugs and one night stands as dating.