Saturday, April 19, 2008

On Writing

On February 28th, 2008 I was having one of those beloved all day parties with my friend the HBLL. It was midterm time and I was about half way through my paper when this thought washed over me: “Tommy, you need to start writing. Who cares what it is, just write. Something more formal than a journal, but still casual enough to be a pleasant experience. You have too much going through your mind these days not to record it.” That was at least the effect of it at least. I recorded what I thought more accurately, but that slip of paper is currently on the very bottom of an overfilled box that is 1,000 miles away.

I acted on that prompting and began exploring a proper outlet for my new desire to write. I thought about writing poetry. I love reading it, so why not have a go at writing it? That experiment did not go so well, I need more schooling in the forms I like before attempting to write my own. I did lots of theater in high school so I considered writing a play, or at least a series of monologues. I found that all the thoughts that were running through my mind that I desired to get down on paper were too disjointed to form into a coherent play. After not being able to find a satisfactory outlet, I gave up slightly. I had done my looking, so decided that life would place the proper outlet in front of me when the time came. When it did come, I vowed to snatch it up.

Life has come through for me once again (it seems to have a knack for doing that). I have found the world of blogs. I have the perfect place to express the thoughts I have wanted to get out and the perfect community to receive them. And though I hope I have something new to contribute to this blogsphere, I am mainly writing for myself. I want to record all the things that have happened to me in the last year so that I can look back on this part of my life and know exactly what was running through my head.

This blog makes me feel slightly vulnerable. I am going to be putting my deepest, most precious and important thoughts online for all to see. I will be discussing events in my past that I am not proud of (sorry if I shock you Mom!). Some of you may agree with every word I have to say, others may disagree and think me a poor misled young fool, which is fine—I’m getting used to that and need to prepare for more of it. ;) But just remember, I am not writing to please anyone but myself, so there will be no censorship.

I hope you enjoy what I have to say! I will be posting a rapid series of foundational entries here within the next week, but things should slow down after that. I have so much to say! I am clueless as to where to start, but am looking forward to joining the world of blogs.

No comments: