Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Red Pill

I am posting this to explain the meaning behind “Taking the Red Pill” for those of you who do not understand. In the smallest, most concise nutshell I can put it in, "Taking the Red Pill" means being forcefully and painfully removed from one paradigm about life and being shoved into a new one. It means having your perspective on reality shattered and then be replaced with something new and something utterly unexpected. And Neo is the character who that happens to.

The red pill (as opposed to the blue pill) is in reference to a scene from The Matrix. Yes, it is rated R (I’m not sure why though… I found nothing particularly offensive about it) so with our Mormon backgrounds I assume that many of you have not seen it... yet. If you have not seen it, I would highly recommend it, it contains some powerful archetypal symbols. I feel a real affinity for it. Here is the clip from the movie about the red pill. It also somewhat explains what the Matrix is. The film however is quite intricate and involved and has many levels, so you would get the most out of watching it yourself, but this should help.





I feel like I took the red pill last August, and have since been experiencing the painful process of falling down the rabbit hole and leaving the Matrix. It makes me feel so apostate but I think of the Church as my matrix... I will explain more fully in the future, but hopefully this at least gives some insight.

If you cant tell, I also got the name "Neo" from The Matrix. At first I thought that it might be a little egotistical. If you have seen the movie, you know that he is the "One" who will destroy the Matrix and become an almost Messiah-like figure. I am not trying to say that I have some great truth to deliver to society or that I view myself as the One or anything. The thing about The Matrix is that everything that happens is a physical projection on a screen of a process entirely contained within oneself-- a process that we all have the potential of going through. Each of the characters in the movie represents a different part of oneself. In the end, we are all, at least in part, Neo unto ourselves. Neo just stood out to me like a nice pseudonym, and is not just me being arrogant. :)

PS I own a copy of the film. You are welcome to borrow it.

No comments: