Thursday, June 5, 2008

Well this was unexpected

I had an interesting opportunity come up about two weeks ago and along with other things, I could not resist the call of the adventure so I took it. So, last Saturday I flew to upstate New York for the rest of the summer! It was quite spontaneous. The space between when I first heard about this opportunity and when I flew out was about a week and a half. All my friends from home are mad at me for cutting down my time there by 75%.

I am helping out a couple that has five freshly adopted children from the Bronx. As you might guess, things have been rather intense ‘round these parts. This couple was in dire need of help and had already used up their reserves of extended family members so I flew out (as soon as I could quit the job I only had for a total of three weeks, haha). Now that I am here, I have no idea how they managed to go a week and a half just by themselves without any additional help.

The ages are 10, 9, 9, 7 and 5. As you might guess, things can get out of control pretty fast. They all have their various issues but are still really really good kids. And I love the parents a ton. We mesh really well. The mom has a mormon background but hasn't been a faithful member for a really long time. She has a fascinating story regarding her experience with the church! Also, she is totally cool with having a gay guy as her live-in help. I mean, she went to college at a music school which we all know means gay people coming out of the woodwork. How could she not love gay people? (she is a world class french horn player).

It was somewhat strange, but for the month that I was at home I felt uneasy. It felt like there was something else coming or somewhere I was supposed to be. Its tough to describe but the gears weren’t quite meshing correctly. The day I got to New York though things got better and I feel good about the summer. This is where I need to be. There have been tough days already but I think it is going a really fantastic summer.

Big news though, huh?

No comments: